Thursday, January 17, 2013

“My daughter loves to see me studying at her school”

“Good luck mommy!” said six year old Amaderis to her mom as they parted ways in the Kelly School hallway. Amaderis went into her kindergarten classroom while her mom, Adneris Rosario, carried on to the Kelly Family Literacy Center to join her own class of other parents. Reader to Reader's DiscoverBooks classes have started up again in Holyoke, Massachusetts!

Parents of Kelly and EN White Schools are improving their English while learning how to support and advocate for their child's education. Being in the schools and classrooms of their children has a strong effect on parents and kids alike, and each week families bring home new books to read and share!

Parents learn and practice English through activities that promote literacy as well as positive parent involvement in their child’s education and school community.

“My daughter loves to see me studying at her school,” Adneris says, “And so do I because I feel at home here now, whereas before I would drop her off but never come in the building.” Abimael Rosado, father of four children at Kelly, feels it’s beneficial for both himself and his family that he is participating at the school. “My children are more motivated to come to school when they see their dad studying here,” he says. “It also helps me be more connected and by learning English I can help them with their homework.”

We are very excited to be supporting these families: the image above shows real feedback and images of participating parents. For more information on DiscoverBooks, read http://reader2reader.blogspot.com/2012/12/discoverbooks-integrates-english.html

No comments: