Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bringing Hope to a Classroom Devoid of Books

Rebecca Javadi, a Teach for America volunteer who is teaching in inner-city Detroit at Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts, visited Reader to Reader and picked out hundreds of books for her first grade class. She spoke about the challenge of sparking an interest in reading when she faced a complete absence of resources.

“When I walked into my classroom for the first time there wasn’t a single book, says Rebecca Javadi. “I have collected a few books throughout the year for the class. With those books my students have created a reading club during lunch. Receiving these books from Reader to Reader is going to help my students expand their imagination and joy of reading.”

Knowing the impact the books would have on her students literally gave her happy tears of joy.

“The is an amazing, amazing place!" she said, her arms full of books. "Thank you for all you do. This will mean so much to them. I can’t wait to share these books with all my students!”

No comments: